Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sticking to it

Every year for the past four years, I have tried to make a commitment to improving my French (which I studied for five years in middle and high school). It's a goal that's been impeded by a number of other activities, such as depression from work, studying for the LSAT, writing a novel (which was later abandoned), cardmaking, and then law school. However, I recently found out about StickK, a website designed to make sure people stick to their goals. You make commitment contracts for certain goals and assign a referee to make sure you stick to those goals. You can also up the stakes by signing a financial agreement stipulating payment to a friend, foe, or charity if you fail to report on your progress or otherwise break your contract.

I figured, why not? I've now made commitment contracts for two goals: 1) a 16-week contract for improving French and 2) a 20 week contract keeping up with my reading for law school. I'll keep you updated on the results!