Monday, February 9, 2009

Doe, a deer, a female deer

My mother has loved deer (as animals, not food) for about as long as I remember, but I didn't quite appreciate them until a trip to Washington about 10 years ago. We were driving around Mt. Rainier National Park, and we found a fawn that had wandered into the parking lot. My mom stopped the car, and my sister and I got out to feed her. I remember how pretty her eyes were. She ate out of my hand, but she would not let me pet her (she drew back every time I tried). In the pictures, you can see just how scared - and hungry - she is. Her head and neck are almost in a straight line with her back. It was like there was an invisible line that she wasn't allowed to cross.

I don't have the pictures with me, but I did some browsing recently and found some adorable deer-themed items on Etsy and DaWanda:



Forest Fawn Lapel Pin from Figs and Ginger (9 euros)






"I Love You My Dear" Valentine's card from Sarah Jane Studios



"I Do Not Know Where We Are Going, But At Least We Are Together" papercut print, by mon petit fantome



And how could I forget Anna Carin-Dahl's lovely Woody vases? I discovered her while I was in Copenhagen this summer. This vase is sitting on my shelf right now. Found at Stillebenshop, Copenhagen, Denmark.