
I first discovered the Pavel Zoubok Gallery on a Friday in August of 2005. My company had a summer Friday policy, which meant that we worked from 8am-6pm Monday through Thursday, and in exchange, we would get Friday afternoons off. Usually most of my Friday afternoons were spent going home and doing my laundry, but on this particular day, I decided to visit the Chelsea galleries. Pavel Zoubok was holding their "3" exhibition (images here), and for me, it was love at first sight. I was especially entranced by CK Wilde's money collages.
Although I rarely go to that area of Chelsea, I've kept Pavel Zoubok on my radar since then and check in on their exhibitions occasionally. (They focus on collage and mixed media artists.) The other day, however, when my boyfriend and I wound up in that area, I steered him into the gallery.
Their current exhibition, Matthew Cusick's "Cease to Exist", features a series of map collages and is definitely worth a trip to the no man's land that is 10th and 11th Avenues. (The above image is "Kara's Wave.") My boyfriend's criticism was that Cusick "didn't really use the contours of the maps" to create the images, but rather, he just cut sections of maps to make a new portion of the image. I, however, thought that his use of color and the selection of maps to create depth was very well done. I'm not an artist per se, but having created a number of collage cards, I know how hard it is to find the right combination of color when you're creating collages - particularly when the material is not a solid color. And I personally haven't figured out how to use color to create depth in collage pieces.
Anyway, check it out! It's definitely worth it - and it's free. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment