Friday, November 6, 2009

A Russian Tradition

The Holy Supper, which in Russian Orthodox tradition, takes place on Christmas Eve after a day of fasting, begins with the mother of the family blessing each person by drawing a cross in honey on his or her forehead. I've tried to capture this tradition in my latest card, above, although it is still a work in progress.

(On a similar and somewhat funny note, when I showed this card to my Russian boyfriend, his response was, "I didn't know there was a tradition of drawing a cross on your forehead." But to be fair, he isn't Christian. So... :))

2 comments:

julia said...

What a beautiful Christmas tradition. I love the colors of her headkerchief (I think I just made up that word...).

Michelle said...

Thanks! I wish I could say I made the pattern, but I got it at a stationery store in the village. I like headkerchief. It's clever!