Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Road to NSS: Two months to go!

It's less than two months to the National Stationery Show! Eek! Let's take stock of where I am now. Unfortunately I don't feel like I've gotten much done in the last month!

February's "to do" list:

NEED TO DO:
- more card designs to finish
- photograph new cards
- revise wholesale catalog in progress
- continue researching stores in progress
- finalize and print mailers, and mail them  done!
- continue working on and finalizing booth design
- print new business cards
- work on press kits
- create elements for booth in progress
- design booth freebies
- order booth freebies
- design and print stickers for display cards
- create print versions of my mother's card line in progress
- select new Voyages postcards, greeting cards and print samples in progress
- buy the necessary furniture & equipment for booth I'll be carting our own furniture up to New York!
- resolve parking issue with car Parking car at my friend's house in New Jersey. Turns out that the 6 years I spent in NYC weren't all for nothing!

And let's take a look at the damage so far:

Booth fee = $2376.00
FLOR tiles (at 25% off with free shipping) = $360.63
Clip-on lamps from Home Depot = $119.76
Electricity = $113.50
Carbon copy wholesale order forms = $42.70
Printing costs for mailer = $51.28
LOUIE Awards submission = $150.00

Total as of March 26, 2014 = $3213.87

I'm hoping to keep the costs under $5000, although my firm budget is $7000. It helps that we won't have to pay for a hotel - we have family and lots of friends in the area.

When this is all over, I plan to do a few more blog posts on how to prepare for the show, and how to do it on a budget and still look professional (assuming I pull *that* one off, haha!). But for now, I'm hoping that these updates will help future NSS exhibitors get an idea of where they should be. It also helps keep me accountable!

2 comments:

nancy said...

Chelleline,
Have you found the NSS to be central to your business. Debated on going last year and wondered if it is worth the money?

Thanks Nancy Michalak

Michelle said...

Hi Nancy,
This is my first year doing the show. I guess I'll find out! It seems to me that people who are successful at the NSS come back to exhibit every year, though. Hope that helps!