Sunday, September 14, 2014

Blog Hop!

I was tagged in this blog hop by Queenie of Queenie's Cards. Basically, the idea is to talk about your work and then tag two other people to participate. It's a great way for your fans to get to know you better and to help promote other artists!

Queenie and I met through my friend and her booth neighbor, Keisha of Punch Street, while we were all preparing for the National Stationery Show this past May. We exchanged several long emails before the Show, and then finally grabbed dinner at Shake Shack Monday night of the Show and headed over to Bryant Park to relax and chat for a while. We instantly bonded, and when I found out that Queenie's birthday is the same day as that of one of my best friend's, I wasn't surprised at all.

Queenie's designs are super cute on their own, but they are doubly clever because of the witty puns that accompany them! Here are two of my favorites:
                                                                       (I love pomeranians!)


I love seals, too! Plus, this card made me feel smart because I didn't have to look it up its meaning. Thanks to 5.5 years of French in middle and high school, and 2 years of living in Montreal!

Now to the questions:

1) What are you writing/working on?

I'm currently working on an order for Hanji handmade paper and gifts in Toronto, and for the McCord Museum in Montreal. I just released a new line of paper Christmas ornaments. I'm also working on some Kansas-themed cards, and a bunch of other things I'll be announcing soon!

2) How does your work differ from others in your genre?

Because papercut collage is so time- and labor-intensive, there are few artists who create greeting cards in this medium. The few I know who work in this medium have resorted to printing their greeting cards. (I admit that I've done this to some extent, too.)  

I also try to be different in terms of content. I stay away from trends, and if I have an idea that I then see in other cards (because that will inevitably happen), I abandon it. Any relation to trends is purely accidental. For example, my octopus cards were inspired by a stuffed animal octopus I found in the bottom of a bin at a store in Park City, Utah, more than 10 years ago - and not because octopi had become trendy. I also try to represent popular themes in ways that have never been done before and, barring that, to come up with a pleasant combination of colors and shapes.

3) Why do you create?

I started creating because I wanted to do something with my hands after years of being inside my head. Now I can't stop!

4) How does your creative process work?

In the simplest iteration, I'll have an idea, sketch it out, choose the colors, and cut the shapes out and assemble them together. Other times, it's much harder. I'll spend a lot of time brainstorming, sketching different ideas, playing around with them, and seeing what works. 

Now it's my turn to tag people! I am tagging Keisha De Paz of Punch Street. Keisha and I were introduced to each other courtesy of a journalist who had interviewed her for Forbes. She's also a fellow law school graduate, and started her line of cards after watching an episode of The Wire. She started out with a line of urban cards and has evolved her brand to include "trinky things" - cards with jewelry. Unfortunately, her website is under construction so I can't grab any of her images to show off here!

I'm supposed to tag two people, but I'm too scared to ask anyone else, so...if you see this and would like to participate, just let me know and I'd be happy to promote you here! 

No comments: