As I mentioned previously, I did extensive research on the National Stationery Show for two years before I actually exhibited there. However, as with all studying, nothing can prepare you for the real thing. (unless, of course, the "real thing" is a test.) If you're considering exhibiting at a trade show for the first time, I've outlined here some things that I wish I'd done differently - things that I wasn't able to find on any of the many blogs or articles I read about trade shows. Others may have differing opinions.
If I could do it again, here's what I would change:
1. Have a catalog ready at least one month before the start of the show. I've had a catalog since 2011 and have updated it once a year, but I'd been putting off making the catalog because I was completely dependent on my husband for taking the photos and adding them to the catalog. I was afraid to ask him because he was busy with work. However, in April, I discovered that scanning the cards with the same blue backdrop actually works just as well - and sometimes even better - than taking product photos! And I learned and re-learned how to work with InDesign, so I was able to update my catalog by myself.
Anyway, personal anecdote aside, it's great to have a catalog ready in advance of the show in case you want to send it to any prospects. I had several stores on my dream list that I would have loved to send catalogs to, but I wasn't able to because the catalog wasn't ready. Would it have made a difference? Maybe, maybe not.
2. Send pre-show mailers 3-4 weeks before the Show. I couldn't find a lot of information on this beforehand, but in any case, I ended up sending mine out pretty late - probably 2 weeks before the Show. If I had to do it again, I would send it at least 3 weeks, and probably more like 4 weeks before the start of the Show.
3. Give catalogs to all buyers who stop into your booth. Be incredibly generous with people who stop into your booth. If I were doing this again, I would give a catalog to every buyer who stepped into my booth! During the first day, I was overly cautious in handing them out. I wish I had not been! Especially now, when I'm left with about 25 catalogs from the Show! (Yes, I know I can use them to send out with my orders or for direct mail marketing, but they also have a huge "2014" on the front cover...so time is running out!) When I stopped by my friend Brad's booth on the first day, his sister (who didn't know I was an exhibitor) asked me, "Would you like a catalog?" I should have taken a lesson from her and done the exact same thing right away! Instead, it took another day or two for it to sink in. So...take a lesson from me and have a catalog free-for-all in your booth!
4. Get business cards from everyone you talk to. Another tip that took me a little longer to learn. But yes, I do wish I'd gotten business cards from everyone I spoke to, especially from the first day (which was the busiest for me).
5. Curate your greeting card and product selection. When I was preparing for the show, two of my retailers advised me to display everything I had. So I did. I even brought back some designs I had discontinued, thinking, who knows, maybe someone will want it! However, displaying everything - or almost everything - from 7 years worth of work in an 8x10 space, not to mention fitting in 3 other designers, is not a great idea. I think the amount of cards overwhelmed and maybe even scared off people, and my best work got kind of lost in the mix. Next time, I would curate more effectively.
6. Leave the majority of your press kits in the Press Room. The show management will tell you to make 50, leave 30 in the Press Room and 20 in your booth to hand out to the press. Well, if you're a first-time exhibitor, chances are that the press will not be seeking out your booth. Even though I've had a lot of press mentions in the past, most people don't really know who I am. So I would recommend leaving 5 in your booth and the rest upstairs. Also, check periodically to see how many are left and to make sure no one has messed with your press kits.
7. Display your cards on shelves. I went through many debates with myself and Mitya over whether or not to install shelving. Ultimately I decided to stick the cards on the wall because (I thought) it was easier, and because the retailers I asked for advice recommended I do that.
Well...I don't think it really makes a difference for potential retailers whether your cards are on the shelves or stuck to the walls, but it makes a huge difference for you, the exhibitor. It took me so long to tape the cards to the wall. I didn't put them in the plastic sleeves because I didn't want light reflecting off of them and I wanted people to be able to touch the actual product. So I had to tape the insides of the card to the envelope and then tape the back of the card to the wall. It takes a lot of time! And taking them down takes a long time, too! Installing and taking down shelves would have been much quicker. Also, I wouldn't have ruined the cards, either. So, learn from my mistake and install shelving in your booth!
8. I wouldn't have exhibited at the National Stationery Show. This has potential to cause controversy, but I just had to put it out there. I'd thought that, having gotten into over 40 stores on my own and with the help of a sales rep, my line would have been a success at the Show. That was not the case. Whatever the reason (and there are plenty of theories), my money would have been better spent exhibiting at the New York Gift Fair (which I was initially considering, and which my retailers strongly recommended over the Stationery Show) or even just traveling to a few select cities to scout for stores. However, some people did do very well, so you never know. I don't want to get into a deep discussion about it here, but if you are trying to decide between shows and would like to hear my perspective, send me an e-mail. I'd be happy to help!
No comments:
Post a Comment