Monday, May 30, 2011

The First Step: Getting Back Up

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." - Vince Lombardi

It's inevitable: if you are an entrepreneur, you will get knocked down. It comes with the territory. And it can come in many forms.

It can come in the form of criticism - from friends, family, and even anonymous strangers.

It can come in the form of rejection - from potential customers and the press.

It can come in the form of self-doubt, which in my opinion, is the most dangerous of them all.

So, how does one deal with all this?

1) Remember the compliments. Forget the insults.

I recently started keeping a running list of compliments I receive about my work. I read them over whenever I need to lift my spirits. It's amazing how much better it makes you feel.

However, do not expect compliments from anyone and do not worry if someone doesn't mention your work.

2) Get back up.

Not everyone will like your work. But some people will. So don't take it to heart every time a new store rejects you, or ignores you, or gives you the run-around, or every time a member of the press passes on your story. Get back up. Find more stores. Find more media outlets. And contact them.

You really have to learn how to develop a thick skin if you want to be an entrepreneur - and I'm speaking as someone who is much more sensitive and thin-skinned than the average person. I'll admit that I haven't completely mastered the whole thick-skin, let rejection slide off you, attitude. And rejections and unfriendly responses to sales calls do bother me still. It can take me a whole day to get over a bad phone call. But I keep trying. And if I can do it, so can you!

I'll tell you a true story: I am currently in 16 stores. I consider that a good number, especially since this was accomplished without going to a trade show or hiring a sales representative. But I can't even tell you how many stores I've contacted that have either ignored or rejected me or given me the run-around. If I'd let one of those stores stop me from ever contacting any stores, I wouldn't be in 16 stores now.

3) Most importantly, BELIEVE in yourself. I cannot stress the importance of this. Self-doubt has killed many dreams. Every time you start to question yourself, ask yourself, is this what I really want to do? If the answer is yes, then get back up and keep at it!

2 comments:

Mélanie said...

Well said! Reading this and Bethenny Frankel's 'Place of Yes' (if you haven't read it, it might be a nice read too) has definitely encouraged me to think more positively and believe in my work. Always.

Thick skin or not. If you believe in what you're doing and have a passion for it...others will eventually see it too (if they haven't already). ;)

Michelle said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Mélanie! I will definitely check Place of Yes out.

You are absolutely right about believing in your work. And that's how people succeed - by believing in themselves and sticking with it where others would quit.

And your work is lovely - I believe in it too! :)