Monday, November 5, 2012

Running on Empty?

I knew that working - and working hard - while being sick would take a toll on me, and it has. About a week and a half ago, my body revolted, and I just could not get myself to work. I'd been working without a break for over two weeks at that point. Since then, I've been working more slowly. It's slower than I'd prefer, but I'm still getting the orders done in reasonable time.

Latest news: I signed up for StitchLabs, which I hope will help me keep better track of my orders and invoicing than my current system, which is entering orders on Excel and then transferring them to Word. Very "I'm working out of my basement", I know. And it turns out that I was consistently leaving things off of invoices - which is why I switched. Mitya said to me, "It's a good thing you don't have a boss!"

I've also been researching charities because I've wanted for a while to donate some of my profits to charity. I prefer small organizations because I feel that my money can make more of an impact there. I'm considering donating to the following: the New York Aquarium (which was devastated by Hurricane Sandy), Elijah's Promise (a NJ organization that runs a soup kitchen, pay-as-you-wish cafe, and offers culinary training and cooking classes for families), and the Tanzania Heritage Project (a non-profit in Tanzania dedicated to preserving Tanzanian musical heritage by digitalizing many years of archives of Radio Tanzania). If you have any suggestions for charities, please send them my way!


No comments: