Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Yes, we did - again!

I've been disappointed in Obama. I'm not afraid to admit that. I know that it was hard to clean up after Bush, but there were some things that were in his (Obama's) control that he could have pushed harder on. Providing a government option for healthcare (if you don't have this, then what's the point of universal healthcare?) and solving the debt ceiling crisis by imposing higher tax rates on capital gains earnings rather than shifting the burden onto students are among some of them.

When push comes to shove, though, I know that Obama is trying his best within the limits of the current system and I know that he's better than the alternative. That's why I voted for him.

And last night, when he won the election and everyone in our little room in Montreal exploded into cheers, I could forget, for a few seconds, the disappointments of the last four years and see him as I did in 2008, as the candidate of hope and change.


No comments: