Saturday, December 1, 2012

A tale of Czech glass buttons


from Toasted Coconut Studio

So, three years ago, I was vending at the Brooklyn Flea with a woman who made rings from these beautiful Czech glass buttons. I loved them and wanted to buy one for my sister, because they were definitely her style - colorful, funky, big. I was set up to sell there for three weekends in a row and was planning to purchase them the last weekend. That was a lesson learned in not waiting because on that last weekend, the weather was awful and we ended up canceling our tent.

So, fast forward three years later. I started thinking about the Czech glass buttons again when I was trying to figure out what to get my sister for Christmas. (I'm pretty sure she doesn't read this blog, so I'm safe in writing openly about this.) I couldn't, for the life of me, remember the name of this woman's business, so I just decided to search Etsy for "czech glass button" and, when I decided I didn't want to actually make the ring myself, "czech glass button ring". I found and marveled over many beautiful buttons, like this:

from FabBeads

And this:

from oridotan

And this:

from TrinketsNWhatnots

I finally decided on the one I wanted for my sister and, not wanting someone else to beat me to it, purchased it. I then received two e-mails, one from Etsy, and the other from Paypal saying, "Payment sent to [the name of the woman I vended with at the Brooklyn Flea]." I nearly fell out of my chair! What irony! (I also know that she changed her shop name because, even though I've forgotten the name of the old shop, I know it wasn't Toasted Coconut Studio.)

No comments: